Oh wait, am I supposed to admit that?
Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses.
Likewise, culturally-vapid sorority-type girls with fake blond hair and overly tanned skin (basically the campus I attend in a nutshell) are not seen as attractive by cultured hipster males who instead see them as symbols of female insecurity, low self-esteem, and lack of cultural intelligence and independent thinking. Although hipsters are technically conformists within their own subculture, in comparison to the much larger mainstream mass, they are pioneers of the latest cultural trends and ideals.
Reasons I am a Hipster:
1. I blog.
2. I like being myself.
3. I'm not in a sorority although Greek life is huge here.
4. I would classify my style as Boho-Chic.
5. I dress in lots of flowery and flowy shirts, resembling a hippie.
6. I refuse to own any of the expensive name brands which trump this campus (J. Crew, North Face, Uggs, Sperry Topsider, Lilly Pultzer, etc...)
7. I'm a huge coffee drinker.
8. I'm creative.
9. My camera is my lifeline.
10. You will often catch me sporting skinny jeans.
11. I throw peace signs to the masses.
12. I hate mainstream anything...music, celebs, shows, you name it (with a few exceptions)
What makes me a Not-so-hipster
1. I could never ever, EVER be a vegetarian. Girl loves her meat!
2. I don't live in a big city. What up college town Oxford, Ohio?
3. I don't often "thrift" I do prefer cheap clothes from Forever21 however.
4. I hardly ever wear dresses...more so skirts.
5. I do not listen to vinyl.
6. No tattoos for me.
7. I don't and won't ever do drugs
8. I don't do festivals.
9. Not a big fan of organic, it's a money-waster in my opinion.
10. I don't play guitar.
11. I don't tend to enjoy independent or foreign films.
12. Pabst Blue Ribbon is not my beer of choice.
And now I leave you with hipster Disney Princesses for your viewing pleasure :)