If you want to become an audio engineer, then there are many different things to think about. The first and most important thing is that you obtain an audio engineering degree from a reputable school, however. This type of degree will introduce you to the different careers that exist for audio engineers, while at the same time immersing you into the different tasks you will have to perform. You will also be able to develop all the necessary qualities you need to be able to obtain a good career. But mainly, as part of your degree, you will have to complete an internship that allows you to apply your new-found skills to real-world situations, while at the same time enabling you to build your professional network.
Audio Engineering Jobs
Completing a degree is an important step towards building the career of your dreams. Hence, a starting point for you should be to determine what type of job you would actually like to do. As an audio engineer, you will be involved in the less glamorous side of music. You will not be the one with the screaming fans around you. In fact, nobody will recognize you. But you will have the opportunity to say you are the one who made some of the most famous sounds possible. And since sound is important in every industry, you have lots of opportunities available to you, including:
- The field of movies, working on scenes, the cast, voice overs, and soundtracks.
- Television shows, working on scenes, the cast, voice overs, and soundtracks.
- Television commercials, working on scenes, the cast, voice overs, and soundtracks.
- The field of direct music, working on special functions, albums, videos, recording studios, and live concerts.
- The field of business, arranging meetings, lectures, large corporate meetings, and seminars while ensuring the sound is managed properly.
- The field of sports, focusing on live sports functions and telecasts.
- The field of education, ensuring sound is managed during student gatherings and lecturers.
Clearly, there are lots of professional opportunities available for someone with a degree in audio engineering. It is a rewarding and exciting field, in which no two days will ever be the same.
What You Need
Depending on where you want to work and what you need to do, you need not just excellent qualification, you also need to have the right personality. You must be a people person, while at the same time being able to work under pressure. Deadlines are tight in the industry!
It is very important that you can handle pressure if you want to work as an audio engineer. You will be prepared for this during your studies to a degree, as you will be under considerable pressure to complete your work on time, and because you are likely to have to complete an internship as well. Once you get into the workforce, however, the true magnitude of how busy you will be will hit you, and you have to be prepared for that.